Faculty: Joe Black, MS
- Distinguished Adjunct Professor
- San Francisco
Joe Black is the Founding Partner of Knucklehead Strategist, a consulting firm located in Rancho Murieta, CA. Joe founded the company in 2007 and is responsible for developing the company's corporate strategy, consulting services and products. The firm provides strategy capabilities consulting services for those who craft and carry out strategy. Unlike other firms, Knucklehead Strategist leverages key success factors derived from over 20 years researching the player development systems of high performance sports teams -- a simple but elegant integrating mechanism that distills the essence of a company's philosophy and strategy into a clear strategy capabilities process. The result is a talent-centric organization that talks talent when they talk strategy - resulting in fewer missed opportunities - more wins, fewer losses. Previously, he held senior HR management and OD positions with American Airlines, GN Great Nordic ReSound, Cooper Labs, Eaton Semiconductor Equipment and GenCorp Inc. Joe is pursuing doctoral studies in education, psychology and organization change as well as receiving a MSOD degree from Pepperdine University.
- Doctoral Studies in Education, Psychology and Organization Change, Pepperdine University
- MS (Organizational Development) Pepperdine University
- BA (Sociology) Parsons College
- Certifications - Executive Coaching, DDI, California Small Business & DVBE Certified
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- 2002 - Present: Distinguished Adjunct Professor, Golden Gate University
- Present: Adjunct Professor, Drexel University
- 2001 - Present: Founding Partner, Knucklehead
- 2006 - 2007: Director, Leadership Planning & Performance, American Airlines
- 2000 - 2006: OD Consultant, Black & Company
- 1995 - 1999: VP Human Resources, Great Nordic ReSound
- 1987 - 1995: HR Consultant, Benchmark Scouting
- 1985 - 1987: Director Corporate Organizational Development, The Cooper Companies
- 1982 - 1983: Group HR Director, Eaton Corporation
- Talking Talent to Make Smart Picks, White Paper, 2006 Succession Planning - Society for Human Resource Management, 2005.
- The Perfect Game: Visualizing the Complete Player - 2nd International Conference on Imagination and Education, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver B.C., Canada, 2004.
- Sports Scouting as a Best Practice Model for Recruiting Peace Officers - California Commission on Peace Officer Standards & Training POST, Symposium on Recruiting, July 2001.
- CHAMPS Corp. High Action Management Planning System Pepperdine MSOD Alumni Conference, 1999
- Talking Talent - Nike 1995 Annual Sales Management Conference
- What Gives Best-In-Class Companies a Competitive Advantage in Selecting Talent - Executive Recruiter News, Kennedy Publications, June 1994.
- Hiring and Training Hows Your Scouting Report? - Sales & Marketing Management Magazine, November 1993.
- Succession Planning a la Professional Sports, Human Resource Planning Society, 1986.
- Strategic Management Society (SMS)
- Organizational Development Network (ODN)
- Human Resource Planning Society (HRPS)
- Society for Industrial and Organization Psychology (SIOP)