Faculty: Tom Wooldridge
- Department Chair and Assistant Professor
- San Francisco
Tom Wooldridge, PsyD. is Chair in the Department of Psychology at Golden Gate University, where he teaches courses in counseling skills, family therapy and psychodynamic therapy. He has published numerous journal articles and book chapters on topics such as eating disorders, masculinity, technology and psychoanalytic treatment. His book, Understanding Anorexia Nervosa in Males, is forthcoming from Routledge in 2016. In addition, Dr. Wooldridge is an Executive Director at the National Association for Males with Eating Disorders and has a private practice in Berkeley, CA, where he provides psychoanalytic psychotherapy and family therapy. Tom is a candidate at the Psychoanalytic Institute of Northern California. Previously, he completed a post-doctoral fellowship at Children's Hospital and Research Center Oakland in the Early Childhood Mental Health Department, where he worked with children and families involved in the child welfare system.
RESEARCH INTERESTS & AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Eating disorders, with a particular interest in male populations
- Philosophical problems in psychoanalysis and psychotherapy
- The intersection of technology and psychoanalysis
- PsyD (Psychology), Argosy University, 2011
- MA (Psychology), Argosy University, 2009
- AB (Philosophy), Brown University, 2006
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- 2012 - Present: Department Chair and Assistant Professor, Golden Gate University
- 2012: Adjunct Faculty, Argosy University / San Francisco Bay Area
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Children's Hospital and Research Center Oakland: Early Childhood Mental Health Department
- Predoctoral Intern, National Asian-American Psychology Training Center at RAMS, Inc.
- Wooldridge, T. (in press). Understanding anorexia nervosa in males: An integrative approach. New York: Routledge.
- Wooldridge, T. & Lemberg, R. (in press). Macho, Bravado, and Eating Disorders: Special Issues in
Diagnosing and Treating Men. Psychiatric Times.
- Cohn, L., Murray, S., Wooldridge, T. & Walen, A. (2016). Including the excluded: Males and gender minorities in eating
disorder prevention. Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention, 24(1).
- Murray, S. B., Griffiths, S., Hazery, L., Shen, T., Wooldridge, T. & Mond, J. M. (2016). Go big or go home: A thematic content analysis of pro-muscularity
websites. Body Image, 16, 17 - 20.
- Wooldridge, T. (2015). Primitive anxieties and secondary skin formation in anorexia nervosa. Fort Da, 21(1), 74-84.
- Wooldridge, T. & Lytle, P. (2015). Web-based intervention for adolescent males with anorexia nervosa.
In R. Valle & J. Klimo (Eds.), The changing faces of therapy: Innovative perspectives on current issues, disorders,
and assessment. San Francisco: Argosy University Press.
- Wooldridge, T. (2014). The enigma of ana: A psychoanalytic exploration of pro-ana forums. The Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychotherapy, 13(3).
- Wooldridge, T. (2014). It's hard to hold an enigma: Response to discussants. The Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychotherapy, 13(3).
- Wooldridge, T., Mok, C., & Chiu, S. (2014). A qualitative content analysis of male participation
in pro-ana forums. Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention, 22(2).
- Wooldridge, T., Dwiwardani, C., & Prasad, S. (2014). Cultural training in internship: A relational
model founded on cultural humility. Psychotherapy Bulletin, 49(3), 19 - 26.
- Wooldridge, T. & Lytle, P. (2013). An overview of anorexia nervosa in males. In L. Cohn & R. Lemberg
(Eds.), Current findings on males with eating disorders (pp. 23 -- 33). New York: Routledge.
- Wooldridge, T. & Lytle, P. (2012). An overview of anorexia nervosa in adolescent males. Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention, 20(5), 368-378.
- Wooldridge, T. (2016). When words fail: The role of the body in managing primitive anxieties in
patients with eating disorders. Symposium at the Psychoanalytic Institute of Northern
California with discussant Peter Goldberg, PhD.
- Wooldridge, T. (2014). The enigma of ana: A psychoanalytic exploration of pro-ana forums. Northern
California Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology Scientific Meeting, San Francisco,
- Wooldridge, T. (2014). Catastrophe and faith in anorexia nervosa. 8th International Bion Conference. Los Angeles, CA.
- Wooldridge, T. & Chiu, S. (2013). A qualitative content analysis of male participation in pro-ana forums. Poster presented at the 2013 annual meeting of the American Psychological Association,
- Mok, C., Wooldridge, T., Christopher, S., Trafton, J., Kimerling, R., & Weaver, C. (2013). Complex trauma and criminality in veterans in recovery from substance abuse. Poster presented at the 2013 annual meeting of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, Philadelphia, PA.