Faculty: Tom Wooldridge
- Department Chair and Assistant Professor
- San Francisco
Tom Wooldridge, Psy.D. is Chair in the Department of Psychology at Golden Gate University, where he teaches courses in counseling skills, family therapy, and psychodynamic therapy. His research focus includes eating disorders, masculinity, technology, and psychoanalysis. He has published a number of articles and book chapters in these areas. Tom has a private practice in Berkeley, where he works with individuals, couples, and families. In addition, he is the co-executive director of the National Association for Males with Eating Disorders and is a candidate at the Psychoanalytic Institute of Northern California. Before joining the core faculty at Golden Gate University, Tom completed a post-doctoral fellowship at Children's Hospital and Research Center Oakland in the Early Childhood Mental Health Department, where he worked with children and families involved in the child welfare system.
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Anorexia nervosa in adolescent males
- Psychoanalytic psychotherapy
- Family therapy
- Cultural competence and cultural humility
- PsyD (Psychology), Argosy University, 2011
- MA (Psychology), Argosy University, 2009
- AB (Philosophy), Brown University, 2006
PROFESSIONAL AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- 2012 - Present: Department Chair and Assistant Professor,Golden Gate University
- 2012: Adjunct Faculty,Argosy University / San Francisco Bay Area
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Children's Hospital and Research Center Oakland: Early Childhood Mental Health Department
- Predoctoral Intern, National Asian-American Psychology Training Center at RAMS, Inc.
Wooldridge, T. (in press). Secondary skin formations in anorexia nervosa. Fort Da.
Wooldridge, T. & Lytle, P. (in press). Web-Based Intervention for Adolescent Males with Anorexia Nervosa. In R. Valle & J. Klimo (Eds.), The changing faces of therapy: Innovative perspectives on current Issues, disorders, and assessment. San Francisco: Argosy University Press.
Wooldridge, T. (2014). The enigma of ana: A psychoanalytic exploration of pro-ana forums. The Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychotherapy, 13(3).
Wooldridge, T. (2014). It’s hard to hold an enigma: Response to discussants. The Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychotherapy, 13(3).
Wooldridge, T., Mok, C., & Chiu, S. (2014). A qualitative content analysis of male participation in pro-ana forums. Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention, 22(2).
Wooldridge, T. & Lytle, P. (2013). An overview of anorexia nervosa in males. In L. Cohn & R. Lemberg (Eds.), Current findings on males with eating disorders (pp. 23 – 33). New York: Routledge
Wooldridge, T. & Lytle, P. (2012). An overview of anorexia nervosa in adolescent males. Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention, 20(5), 368-378.