Enrollment: Transfer Credit

Transferring to GGU is a convenient process, and many students receive the maximum number of transfer units possible.

To see how easy transferring to Golden Gate University can be for you, contact one of our Enrollment Team members today.


Transfer Credits Now

Don't put your life on hold!

GGU will help you transfer the maximum number of credits toward a degree.

Learn More


Transfer Guide

Candidates for master's degrees may transfer up to six 300- 400-level units from graduate course work completed at other regionally accredited institutions. Students who have earned a master's degree at an accredited institution may be eligible to transfer up to 12 graduate-level units to a GGU master's degree with the approval of the appropriate department chair or program director. All foundation program course requirements may be transferred if applicable courses were completed in prior academic course work. Students should note that certain 300- 400-level course requirements may not be fulfilled by courses taken at other institutions, as designated by the faculty. Exceptions to these requirements will be made only on petition to and approval by the Committee on Admissions and Academic Probation (CAAP).

Students who have completed graduate work at another institution may be admitted with up to six units of Advanced Program (300- 400-level) credit when courses submitted for transfer credit meet all of the following criteria:
  • They are taken at the graduate level.
  • They are applicable to the student's GGU degree objective.
  • They are taken at a regionally accredited institution with admission requirements comparable to those of GGU.
  • They are approved by the appropriate faculty member.
  • The following guidelines on graduate transfer credit should also be noted:
    • Courses completed with grades of B or better by students in graduate status are acceptable. (Courses with grades of B- are not acceptable for transfer).
    • The transcript shows that graduate units were given. (The units must not have been used toward completion of a bachelor's degree.)
    • Cooperative education units earned may be transferred with faculty approval.
    • Professional Military Education (PME) or training courses evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) may qualify for transfer credit. In considering the ACE recommendation, the university determines what level and amount of credit to accept.
    • Courses taken by correspondence are not acceptable for advanced program graduate transfer credit.

Determining how your credit will transfer:

FIRST - View your degree program to see what's needed

THEN - See how courses from other schools match.

Articulate Other Institutions' Courses

The courses listed have been entered as transfer equivalents in GGU's degree audit database and our enrollment team will work with you to apply credit toward your degree.

Academic Excellence Scholarship Program

Golden Gate University determines each student's eligibility for a transfer scholarship based on his or her transfer GPA and years of full-time work experience. When applying for admission, a transferring student must provide transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended and should complete the scholarship application form.

Learn More About Scholarships at GGU

Getting the Most Out of Your Transfer Credit

Credits from regionally accredited four-year institutions are usually acceptable, as are college-level credits from accredited community colleges; credits, not grades, transfer. Credit may be granted only if the subject matter of courses is applicable to programs offered by Golden Gate University. General education and liberal studies transfer credit varies by degree program. Credit for terminal, occupational, technical and vocational courses may be accepted on a limited basis.

Transfer credit from community colleges is given in accordance with the Inter-segmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC), a process in which all California community and junior colleges participate. GGU honors IGETC guidelines for general education requirements. Information regarding IGETC can be obtained from all California community and junior colleges, and most of those institutions indicate IGETC-approved courses in their course catalogs. The responsibility for the selection of the proper courses for transfer credit, however, rests with the student. A total of 93 units can be completed through transfer from community colleges, and four-year accredited institutions.

The following guidelines on undergraduate transfer credit should also be noted:
  • Courses completed at institutions accredited by one of the US regional accrediting agencies are acceptable (e.g. Western Association of Schools and Colleges).
  • A total of 93 units can be completed through transfer from community colleges, four-year accredited institutions, and the options listed in the above section.
  • Courses completed with grades of C- or better are acceptable.
  • Cooperative education units earned may be transferred with faculty approval.
  • The maximum number of transfer credits from any one source or combined sources may be limited.
  • Golden Gate University does not grant academic credit for prior learning at the time of admission, but a portfolio for prior learning assessment can be prepared while enrolled in UGP 150 Learning Counts.

Maximizing your transfer credit

Whether you're transferring directly from a community college with an associate's degree or you've got a folder full of transcripts from the colleges you've attended over the years, Golden Gate University can help you take your credits to the next level. When you're ready to complete your undergraduate degree and begin putting your education to work for you right away, GGU is the place.

You may transfer college-level credits earned from regionally accredited four-year institutions and community colleges, or foreign universities that are officially recognized in the United States. Credit is transferred on a course-by-course basis, when the subject matter applies to Golden Gate's degree programs. General education and liberal studies transfer credit varies by program. In some cases, courses with subjects that do not match the program may be transferred as elective credit.

Transfer Guide

If you are transferring with 12 or more semester units:

  • Have earned at least 12 semester units or 18 quarter units from regionally accredited community colleges and four year institutions
  • Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 (C) or better. The GPA includes all grades received, including those for classes that have been repeated
  • Submit official transcripts of all college work
  • File an application with an application fee
  • Receive an acceptance letter from Enrollment Services.

If you are transferring with fewer than 12 semester units:

  • Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 (B) for all academic high school work
  • Any college work completed is considered when reaching a decision
  • Submit official transcripts of all high school and college work
  • File an application and application fee
  • Receive an acceptance letter from Enrollment Services.

If your GPA is slightly below 2.0:

You may be admitted as a conditional degree candidate if you show evidence that you will be successful in an advanced university degree program. To do this, you should include a personal statement with your admission application. For more information go to the undergraduate admission page and browse to "Personal Statement."

If you transfer from a community college:

Golden Gate University has articulation agreements with most California community colleges. Students are encouraged to consult with their enrollment advisor at Golden Gate, or with the transfer centers at their community colleges, to select courses that will transfer to our degree programs in accordance with these articulation agreements.

If you transfer from a school without an articulation agreement:

The Office of Enrollment Services is committed to assist you in maximizing the credit you have earned at previous institutions. Whenever possible, you will be given the transfer credit during the initial review of your transcripts. If you do not receive credit for a course and you think you should have, your advisor can assist you with a petition process for review by the program director or dean. The petition form and additional information can be found on the academic advising website.

Other acceptable transfer credit:

  • Advanced Placement Examinations of the College Board
  • Undergraduate-level correspondence courses from an accredited institution
  • CLEP General and Subject Examinations
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)
  • American College Testing (ACT) Proficiency Examination Program (PEP)
  • American Institute of Banking courses not completed at a community college
  • Professional Military Education (PME) evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE)
  • Training Programs evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) or the National Program on Non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI)
  • One year's uninterrupted active duty military service.

Transfer Credit Policy

  • You may transfer up to 93 semester units of community college credit
  • You may transfer credits from community colleges, two-year and four-year institutions and testing services as long as a minimum of 30 units is completed at Golden Gate
  • Courses must have been completed with at least a C to transfer
  • Transfer credits for cooperative education units earned at other accredited U.S. institutions are subject to the approval of the appropriate school dean
  • Credits may not be transferred into Golden Gate's certificate programs
  • The maximum number of transfer credits from vocational course work may be limited by Enrollment Services
  • Courses not specifically articulated may transfer as elective credit.
  • Additional courses may fulfill the Liberal Studies Core requirement based on content and units earned.

For more information please contact your enrollment advisor at 800-GGU-4YOU.