Tuition & Fees: Policies

Enrollment constitutes a financial contract between you and the university. You will be responsible for paying all registration charges associated with your enrollment after the "Last Day to Drop Without Tuition Charge", as specified in the Academic Calendar. See the Withdrawal Policy for more information.



Enrollment constitutes a financial contract between you and the University. Your rights to university services and benefits are contingent upon your making all payments as agreed upon. If you fail to make payments owed to the university when they become due, the university has the right to cancel your registration and/or administratively withdraw you from the current term, withhold your grades, transcripts, diplomas, scholastic certificates and degrees, and impound your final exams. If you fail to maintain good financial standing with the university, you will become ineligible for any deferred payment plans and/or some forms of financial aid. In addition, if your balance becomes delinquent, it will be will be reported to the credit agencies, which may impact your credit rating.

Prior to registering for a new term, you must pay any outstanding balances from any preceding terms. If you do not pay your outstanding balances or make payment arrangements satisfactory to the university, you will not be permitted to register. This policy applies to any outstanding balances with Golden Gate University, including those with the Golden Gate University Bookstore, or any other company that operates a concession or service contracted by the university.

Payment Due Date

To complete the enrollment process, you must choose a payment option (see Financing Options) for the term and complete any additional steps required for that option. You must complete these steps by the payment due date for the term as specified in the Academic Calendar. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of your registration.

The university accepts payment in cash, personal check in US dollars only, travelers cheques in US dollars only, debit card, credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover), wire transfers, and electronic check. In addition, the university offers payment options, some of which require verification of eligibility prior to registration.


Withdrawal from a course (commonly known as "dropping") is official once the university registrar has been notified. Notification must be in writing and may be submitted online, delivered in-person, by standard mail, by fax or by electronic mail. The email must originate from the student's email address on record with the university. The date the written notice is received will be the official withdrawal date. Oral (spoken) notification is insufficient. Written notice to an instructor is also insufficient.

Tuition will be credited as follows. Fees are not credited except in the case of a course being canceled by the university. Tuition credits remain in the student's account. Refunds are issued upon written request. If you are a Federal Student Aid recipient who withdraws from completely from the payment period, you will be subject to the Return of Federal Student Aid calculations. Golden Gate University may be required to return funds for which you are no longer eligible based on these calculations. This may leave you owing a balance to the university. See Return of Federal Student Aid below for more information.

One week of instruction is defined as the seven-day period that commences at midnight on the start date of the course section.

Week one through week three of instruction* 100% Credit
Week four to end of term No Credit

*The School of Law Withdrawal Policy allows students to receive 100% credit of tuition charges during the first two weeks of instruction only.

You are asked to complete a short questionnaire to identify reasons for withdrawal as part of the "drop" process. This questionnaire is available online at GGU4YOU or on the Add/Drop Form at all Golden Gate University locations. This data will be kept confidential and will be used to improve customer service and quality.


A refund of a credit balance resulting from tuition adjustment in accordance with the above-stated Withdrawal Policy will be made if requested in writing by the student. Refund requests should be sent to Student Accounting Services at Refunds are processed either as a direct deposit to the student's checking or savings account or as a paper check mailed to the student's address on record in the university's student information system. It is recommended that you request direct deposit of the refund as it is the most efficient and expeditious way to receive a refund. To sign up for direct deposit you must provide your bank account information via our secure website. To get started, login to GGU4YOU and select "Update My Bank Information" from the "Finances" menu.

If you are a financial aid recipient, credit balances resulting from schedule changes (e.g. dropping from 9 units to 6 units) may be reviewed for adjustments in the financial aid award per federal regulations. Credit balances resulting from complete withdrawal from all classes must be calculated under the Withdrawal Policy and are typically refunded to the appropriate financial aid program or lender.

No refunds will be made by virtue of curtailment of services brought about as a result of strikes, natural disasters, civil insurrection, riots or the threats thereof, or other causes beyond the control of the university.


Federal regulations specify the method that Golden Gate University must use to determine the amount of Federal Student Aid assistance you have earned if you withdraw completely from the payment period (typically a trimester). You are considered to have "withdrawn completely" from the payment period if you withdraw from all courses by the "Last Day to Withdraw" as specified in the Academic Calendar, or if you receive "WF" grades for all courses in which you were enrolled.

The amount of assistance earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if you complete 30% of the payment period, you have earned 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed 60% or more of the payment period, you have earned all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period. If you withdraw completely before 60% of the payment period has elapsed, then some or all of your Federal Student Aid funds will be returned to the Department of Education. This may leave you owing a balance to Golden Gate University. For additional information regarding the return of Federal Student Aid, see the "Return of Title IV Funds Policy" in the "Student Financial Planning" section of the academic catalog.

Financial aid recipients should consult with the Financial Aid Office at 415-442-7270 or email before making schedule changes after financial aid has been disbursed to their accounts. You must consult with a Financial Aid advisor BEFORE dropping/withdrawing if:

  • You intend to withdraw completely from the academic period by dropping (or withdrawing from) all courses; OR
  • Less than 60% of the payment period (trimester) has elapsed.

60% of a trimester is approximately ten weeks; 60% of an eight-week term is approximately five weeks. Please refer Academic Calendar to determine the "Last Day to Withdraw" from a course for a given term.


If you stop attending a course in which you are enrolled and do not officially drop or withdraw from the course by the "Last Day to Withdraw" as specified in the Academic Calendar, then your instructor may assign you a "WF" grade, indicating "withdrawal failure." A "WF" grade will count as an "F" in your GPA calculation. Your instructor will also record your last date of attendance in class. If you fail to earn credit (or receive an "F" grade) for any of the courses in which you enrolled for a payment period, you will be considered to have "withdrawn completely" for Federal Student Aid purposes. If you are found to have withdrawn completely from a payment period, the Financial Aid Office will prepare a Federal Student Aid return calculation based on your last date of attendance for the payment period. See Return of Federal Student Aid above for more information.


If you are confronted with an unexpected and serious circumstance that requires you to withdraw from your courses, you may petition the Financial Petition Committee to reverse a portion of your tuition charges. Your petition should explain, in detail, the circumstances, the correlation between these circumstances and the need for you to withdraw from the course(s), and what actions you have taken to resolve or prevent such an event from occurring in subsequent terms. In addition, you must provide any relevant third-party documentation. The university will not consider petitions that are undocumented or that are based upon pre-existing conditions. All petitions must be submitted to the Office of Student Accounting Services no later than 90 days after the last day of the term in which the course(s) was dropped. The university will respond to all petitions in writing. You should allow a minimum of 30 working days to hear from us as we are required to verify all facts from university sources prior to review by the Financial Petition Committee. If your petition is approved and any adjustments to your tuition result in a credit balance on your account, the university will apply this credit balance toward future tuition charges within the next twelvemonth period. If you are a financial aid recipient and you have a financial petition approved, credit balances typically are refunded to the appropriate financial aid program or lender.


All disputes concerning student accounts should be submitted in writing to: Student Accounting Services, Golden Gate University, 536 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105-2968 or The university will respond within 30 working days of receipt of the student's letter or e-mail.