Faculty: Jon Sylvester
- Contract Law
- International Commercial Dispute Resolution
- International Sales
RESEARCH INTERESTS & AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Contract Law
- JD, Harvard University
- MJ, University of California, Berkeley
- BA, Stanford University
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Practiced with the Washington, DC offices of two major New York-based law firms.
- Has directed and/or taught in legal education programs in China, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Kenya, Malta, Panama and Turkey.
- Formally a Fulbright Scholar (East Africa 1992-93).
- Formerly a New York Times Fellow.
- Worked as a television news writer, reporter and producer.
- Bound To Arbitrate, The Recorder, 7/31/2012.
- The Other Sovereign Debt Crisis A 30-Year Update on Sub-Saharan Africa, 41:3 International Law News p. 9 (ABA, Summer 2012). An abbreviated version of this article was subsequently published as Sovereign Debt in Sub-Saharan Africa in the "Best of ABA Sections" feature of 30:2 GP-Solo p. 68 (ABA, March/April 2013).
- Resolving Arbitrability, The Recorder, 29 March 2012.
- The Problem With Nominees, 28 CEB Real Prop. Law Rptr 5 (2005). With Roger Bernhardt.
- Deconstructing Development, 22 Wisconsin Int'l. L.J. 1 (2004). With Ruth Gordon.
- It's Not Just A Job, It's An Adventure!34 Univ. Toledo L.R. 165 (2002). With Anthony Pagano.
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Economic Stagnation, Political Disintegration and the Specter of Recolonization, 27 Loyola of Los Angeles L. Rev. 1299 (1994).
- Impracticability, Mutual Mistake and Related Contractual Bases for Equitably Adjusting the External Debt of Sub-Saharan Africa, 13 Northwestern J. of Int'l. Law & Bus. 258 (1992).
- Is the Uniform Foreign Money-Judgments Recognition Act Potentially Unconstitutional? If So, Should the Texas Cure be Adopted Elsewhere? 25 Geo. Wash. J. Int'l L. & Econ. 737 (1991). With Richard J. Graving.
- Validity of Post-Employment Non-Compete Covenants in Broadcast News Employment Contracts, 11 Hastings Comm. & Ent. L. J. 423 (1989).
- The Uncertain Status of Post-Employment Non-Compete Covenants in Texas, 14 T. Marshall L.Rev. 1 (1988).
- How California Governs the News Media, 26 Santa Clara L. Rev. 381 (1986).
- How the States Govern the News Media - A Survey of Selected Jurisdictions, 16 SW Univ. L. Rev. 723 (1986).
- Government Supports United States Exporters, 1 Int'l Fin. L. Rev. 13 (1982). With Anthony F. Essaye.