Faculty: Gwen Ball
- Distinguished Adjunct Professor; Manager of English Tutoring Services
- San Francisco
Gwen Ball graduated from Mills College in Oakland, California with an MFA in writing.
Her teaching experience includes courses ranging from basic writing to graduate research-writing
Ball began teaching English at GGU in 1991, and in 1998 she became one of the first online instructors. Ball created the OWL, which opened at GGU in Fall 1998, and has been its sole manager since its inception. She also manages the Writing Lab on our main campus.
Gwen has three children, two cats, and a dog, and lives with her husband and the rest of their clan in Alameda. When she's not teaching or overseeing the OWL and Writing Lab, she's ferrying her children to activities; swimming; walking her dog, Sadie, along the bay trails of Alameda; or reading Anthony Trollope novels, Henning Mankell and other Swedish or British mysteries.
RESEARCH INTERESTS & AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Online Writing Tutoring
- Online Instruction
- BA, University of Nevada-Reno
- MFA, Mills College
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Creator & Developer, Manager of Online Writing Lab, Golden Gate University
- Course Development: Creator of online developmental English courses, Golden Gate University
- Manager, On-Site Writing Lab, Golden Gate University
- Online English Professor, Golden Gate University
- English Placement Exam Trainer & Reader, Golden Gate University
HONORS & AWARDS
- Distinguished Adjunct Professor Award, 2010
- Outstanding Teaching Award, 2000
- Graduate Scholarship, Mills College, 1989
- Phi Kappa Phi, National Honor Society, UNR, 1986