Faculty: Michael L. Vinson
- Director of International Tax Program, Professor (Retired)
- San Francisco
Learn more about Michael Vinson
Michael Vinson has been an adjunct professor at Golden Gate University since 1987. He was a full-time professor and the Director of the International Tax Certificate Program from 2005 until his retirement in 2017. While a full-time professor, he was chair of the Faculty Senate and a winner of the School Service Award as voted by the faculty. He is also an adjunct professor at the Golden Gate University Law School, a Visiting Professor at the University of California, Davis School of Law, and teaches for CalCPA.
Prior to joining the full-time faculty, Michael held several corporate tax positions, including Vice President of Tax at Hyperion Solutions Corporation, Director of Tax at Altera Corporation, and Tax Counsel at Apple Computer, Inc. He has been on the cutting edge in the development and application of alternate dispute resolution techniques to tax controversies. He previously served eight years as Deputy County Counsel for San Mateo County, where he obtained substantial trial and appellate litigation experience.
Vinson holds a BA in Psychology from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, a JD from University of California, Hastings College of the Law (graduating Order of the Coif), and a LLM in Taxation from New York University School of Law. He is married (to a lawyer), has four children (three of whom are lawyers), and four grandchildren (one of whom he hopes will become a doctor).
RESEARCH INTERESTS & AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Partnership Taxation
- International Taxation
- BA (Psychology), State University of New York at Stony Brook
- JD, University of California, Hasting College of the Law
- LLM (Taxation), New York University
PROFESSIONAL & TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- 2006 - Present: Full-time Faculty, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, CA
2010 - Present:
- Assistant Professor, University of California, Davis Law School
- Admitted to practice, State Bar of California
- Admitted to practice, United States Tax Court
- Tax-Aid Volunteer
Prior Work Experience:
- Vice President of Tax, Hyperion Solutions Corporation
- Director of Tax, Altera Corporation
- Tax Counsel, Apple Computer, Inc.
- Associate, Fenwick & West
- Member, State Bar of California